5 things I like about Family Reunions
Let me start off by saying I love my family to the point that I am brought to tears when I ponder how wonderful these people are that I share blood membership with. We have been blessed as a family. Some families fade out and die off and there are some who don’t care for whatever reason to be part of a larger whole. And, I would like to find all of my relatives and know them all. These are the folks that celebrate your birth and gather to send you heaven bound with roaring confidence of prayer and song.
What I like …
- My Uncle’s red jacket. My uncle is usually at the beginning of the soul-train line with his sharp red jacket doing his two-step. Matter of fact, I think he is at the end too. Love it!
- How about those grandparents that watch the kids while you hang out. That shit is priceless! The kids are getting to know each other especially if they live far away and may only see each other at a reunion. With social media, the young adults are staying in touch after the reunion. That’s awesome!
- There are memories of those who have gone on to be with the ancestors that we ceremoniously share to keep them alive in our heart. This is always a nice touch at a reunion. And family news is BIG at reunions. Charley got that business up and running and Joyce had another baby and there’s George who got married for the 4th time. And, who is Uncle Mutt with now?
- Old pictures of previous reunions are one of my favorites. Yes, I am looking for “me” in those pics. Was that me at 17 years old? WOW, look at Cousin David at 19years old, thin and trim, not so anymore! I should talk with my extra 30 following me around all time. LOL
- I love seeing family I haven’t seen in years! That’s Primo! You discover Cousin Junior has changed to be care free in retirement! Over 40 years of reunions, Cousin Greg makes an appearance for the second time and everyone is excited. And, can’t forget those ivy leaguers, those who graduated from top colleges, kids in college, and after established careers, are now touring Europe and took a break to stop by the reunion with “love you and miss you” and we feel the same, love you too.